23 May, 2010

Fabulous Frosting

Hello internets!

I got this recipe from the Pioneer Woman - I was making cupcakes this weekend and also really really wanted to try out my new pastry bags, plus HELLO FROSTING. So really, it was the natural response.

Okay, less babbling, more recipe.

1. Combine 5 tbs flour with 1 cup of milk.

Lookit how cute that is! The flour made little bubbly balls when I tipped it in. D'aww.

No? Not cute? Ah well.

2. Combine the two in a saucepan over medium heat - the Pioneer Woman used a whisk but (confession time!) I have not yet gotten the hang of using a whisk and I ended up burning some of the flour that got stuck to the bottom of the saucepan, so I switched to a spatula.

...Wait a minute. (rereads recipe)

OH.

RIGHT.

Combine them FIRST, then heat. A-durr. ...LOOK, A DISTRACTION!

(My first, optimistic photo.)


Ewg, lumpy. I suspect that I did not blend this well enough because there were still some interesting lumps in it when I was done. :/

3. Let it cool completely. Why? Hell if I know, I just work here. It'll be SUPER thick, like oatmeal.

You can stick it in the fridge for a bit to cool it down faster.

4. Add 1 tsp vanilla.


Stir that motherf*cker in.


Trust me on this: DO NOT BOTHER SNEAKING A TASTE AT THIS POINT. IT TASTES GROSS.

5. Mush up 1 cup sugar with 1 cup butter. The recipe didn't specify powdered sugar or what, but since I am like Einstein (no, really), I figured out that it is, in fact, powdered sugar.

Mush it all together till it's light & fluffy, like whipped cream.

6. Now add the oatmeal flour/milk mush. Whip it on medium high until it has the consistency of frosting. (Man, I dunno... wing it? The recipe says it will have the consistency of whipped cream, but I must have screwed something up pretty bad.)

Also, it will look like a science experiment.

7. Yay! Frosting! Frost your cupcakes/cake/whatever.



8. Sprinkles optional.



Crunchy.

You can also get really excited about using your new pastry bags, like I did, and experiment.




Results: Everyone (except me) loved it. I thought it was so-so, but seriously, HUGE thumbs up from Felder, Chuck*, McK and Eeeeeeeve.

Go, go, gadget professional cook?

<3,
TWC

*Chuck is a professional chef who happens to work with me at my day job.

1 comment:

  1. These were SO DAMNED PRETTY. MAKE ME MOAR MOOOOOOOAAAAAARRR MOOOOOOAAAAARRRR!

    ReplyDelete