17 April, 2010

Cake-tastrophe, or A De-bake-l.

The topsy-turvy cake went horribly awry. Like wow. And it started out so promisingly.

Let's rewind.

THURSDAY:

Me:
Oh wow! Look how cool this cake looks! I could totally do that!

FRIDAY:

Me:
Honey... can I borrow your bank card? Prease? It's for cake!
Felder: [long suffering sigh]

[$12, 3 boxes of cake mix and 2 tubs of frosting later...]

Me: Well, I can bake these tonight and frost them tomorrow. In fact, I can bake them later, after I get me some fro-yo.

11:30 PM:

Me:
OMG WE HAVE NO EGGS! [hyperventilates]
Felder: [long-suffering sigh, contemplation of homicide] Let's go get your eggs.
Me: I have a cake in the oven, we have to go SUPER FAST.
Felder: [goes SUPER FAST]

So Felder gets an award for SAVING THE DAY. NIGHT. Whatever. Anyway, here he is, looking totally thrilled:


And here are the eggs:


Blah blah blah, cakes bake etc. Now, I started baking around 10:30, so by the time they were done, it was 1 am. I compiled this handy list of things to do while your cake is in the oven:

1. Watch your cakes bake.

















2. Clean out fridge.


3. Do laundry.
4. Youtube!
5. Experiment with frosting and food coloring.

(Yes, that is TOTALLY a Star Wars, Ep. 1 plate.)
6. Wash dishes.
7. Listen to Felder complain about how late it is.
8. Get really excited about how FREAKING COOL your cake is going to be.
9. Yell at the one cake that takes A MILLION YEARS to finish baking.

10. Fingerpaint with frosting.


Oh, and this bottle right here:


It was totally full when I started. AWESOME.

So finally, 1 am, all the cakes are out of the oven and into the fridge. Cleanup YAY.


Sleep EVEN MORE YAY.

SATURDAY, 7 AM:

Felder:
Wake up.
Me: [flail, snore]
Felder: [tickles, mercilessly]
Me: FALCOOOOON PUUUUNCH.
Felder:
[off to work, nursing wounds]

SATURDAY, 10 AM:

Me:
Look at these promising cakes, so full of yum and promise. [<--- about to have dreams crushed]
Oven:
Hello! When you bump into me, I'm going TOTES BREAK AND A TINY PART WILL DISAPPEAR FOREVER! BWAHAHAHAHAH.

SATURDAY, 10:30 AM:



11 AM:


Okay, back on track. We're starting out a little rough, but I can fix it.

11:15 AM:


Wow, this is turning out pretty okay.

11:30 AM:
DANGER, WILL ROBINSON.

WE ARE DETECTING DANGEROUS GRAVITY LEVELS IN YOUR CAKE.

11:45 AM:
Maybe some frosting will help hold it together?



12:00 PM:
ABORT! ABORT! SHE'S GONNA BLOOOOOOW!


So it collapsed. On the floor.

And then I did what any normal, sane person would do:

I Hulked out.



Forgive me, cake gods. The crumbs are delicious, and mooshing my cake-tastrophe was oh-so-satisfying.



We'll try something different next week.

<3,>

2 comments:

  1. OH BEAN NO.

    Haha but thank you for the evening of fro-yo, at your peril!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found you from your comment on Ms. Yvonne's blog. Cute blog name! The cake most likely stuck because of the olive oil (I am guessing, looks like an olive oil bottle). And the Topsy-Turvey failed for a few reasons but the main one being cake from a box isn't usually sturdy enough to support such a design. Also, you need real buttercream, not the kind from a tub. Real buttercream can manipulated into different viscosity levels (thinner to get a good base coat, thicker to act as glue). However, cake crumbs smooshed with canned frosting makes an excellent snack always! :)

    ReplyDelete